Migration formalities and other useful information for visitors

All foreign visitors must have a valid passport to enter Canada. For visits of longer duration a work permit will be required. Depending on their nationality, some visitors will also need a visa to enter Canada. Immigration procedures can take some time, so it is important to contact the Canadian embassy or consulate closest to your place of residence. U.S. citizens must bring with them proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport or voter registration card).

Please note that visitors with school-age children must obtain a work permit in order to enroll their children in public school.

More details for postdoctoral fellows and visiting researchers who are not Canadian residents are available on the web pageApply and useful information”. Important information is also available on the webpages of the Bureau des étudiants internationaux.

Health Insurance

Visitors are responsible for their liability insurance during their stay in Canada. If your visit lasts more than 182 you may be eligible to the provincial health insurance of the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec. If you are eligible, coverage is limited. Therefore we suggest that you contact Canadian embassies or consulates for further information concerning health coverage that you need in Canada.

Miscellaneous information for visitors

Le Centre de référence du Grand Montréal – Informs and guides free of charge to community resources

 Child care services