CRM Distinguished Research Scholar
The aim of this new program is to actively support the engagement of CRM members with the Institute’s activities, in a context of strong international competition.
- The position provides support for an annual teaching release (not allowing reduction of the teaching load to less than 7 credits/year), and an annual research grant between $5000 and $10,000.
- Two criteria will be used to select candidates:
- outstanding research accomplishments and
- contributions to the research, training and outreach programs of the CRM during the term of office.
- The term will be between one and five years, with one year the usual duration.
- The selection of the candidates will be done in three steps:
- nomination by the director of the department of origin (the teaching release will require the approval of the candidate’s faculty);
- initial selection by the CRM’s Management Committee;
- final selection by the CRM’s International Scientific Advisory Committee.
Eligibility, program funding, expected duration and inaugural nomination
- To begin with, the program is open only to CRM members with regular appointments at Université de Montréal (regardless of home department), as the funding comes, for the most part, from Université de Montréal endowments (the Aisenstadt and Courtois funds).
- Between one and three positions will be available annually.
- Subsequent participation of other universities is encouraged, with agreements similar to the one put in place with Université de Montréal.
- The program was inaugurated by the appointment of Professor Andrew Granville who was confirmed in this position at the spring 2023 meeting of the International Scientific Committee, with specific support from the Fonds Courtois and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences of Université de Montréal.
- The program will be re-evaluated in 2028 and may be extended, depending on results and funding possibilities.
Call for applications
Nominations for the year 2024-2025 are invited.
- A nomination file consists of:
- a nominating letter from the department chair of the nominee;
- a recent CV;
- a letter of intent from the nominated researcher describing the planned contributions to the CRM’s programs and outreach.
- Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file by November 1, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org.